Site news

FAQ for Online Course

Picture of Admin Moodle
FAQ for Online Course
by Admin Moodle - Saturday, 3 March 2018, 5:17 PM

FAQ for Online Course

[Access and Navigation]

Why can't I log in?

There could be many reasons but the most probable is you have simply forgotton your password, are trying the wrong one or are entering it incorrectly. Some other things to think about include:

• Does your username or password contain a mixture of upper and lower case letters? It should be entered exactly
  • Are cookies enabled on your browser

How do I gain access to a course?

Locate or search for the desired course (you can click 'All courses...' in the 'My courses' block) and click on the course name. If your teacher has given you an enrollment key, enter it when prompted, and click Enroll me in this course. Once you are enrolled in a course, it will appear under "My courses" any time that your are logged into that Moodle site.

How do I jump between my courses?
  • 'My Courses' block if it has been added to the page you are on
  • Go back to the homepage (see below) and then use the main course block (if it has been added!)

How do I get back to the homepage?

Use the navigation bar at the top left of the page or the button at the very bottom of the course

How do I find course X?

If you are not already enrolled in a course you can search for it by name and description.

I cannot view the correct Moodle icon to access my course.

Please email at moodleezra@gmal.com for assistance.

How can I access a course in the Moodle Archives?

By default students have access to the current quarter's courses. If you wish to view an item from a course taken in a previous term, please contact the professor who was teaching the course. They will need to make that course visible to you.

Can we study together in groups and submit the same assignment for each group member? 

You are always welcome to study and work together. In fact, we highly recommend this.  But when you submit an assignment, the wording must be substantially different than your classmates' assignments in terms of the verbiage and writing.  Even if the answers are basically the same, since you all worked together to obtain them, you must submit your own writing.  It is always considered plagiarism if you copy someone else's work, whether it is your friend's or someone else's that you found on the internet.  You must always submit your own work.  Plagiarism is a very serious academic offense.  

[Enrollment]

I am taking courses and I cannot see my Moodle course.

Please email at moodleezra@gmal.com for assistance.

I cannot access a course that I have registered for after I click on the course title.

If you are enrolled in the course, your professor might not have made the course visible to students. please contact your Professor.

How can a course that I dropped be removed from my list of Moodle courses?

Once you drop a course, the Moodle course should automatically be removed from you course list within 72 hours. Please verify when you dropped the course to be sure it has officially dropped from your official schedule.

If more than 72 hours have passed, please contact the Helpdesk for assistance at moodleezra@gmail.com.

If you withdrew from a course, this course will remain in your course list through the remainder of the quarter.

What should I do if I get the "You cannot enroll yourself in this course" message when trying to access my Moodle course?

Verify your enrollment. If you recently enrolled in the course, please wait at least 24 hours.

If more than 24 hours have passed since you enrolled in the course, please contact your Professor for assistance. The course may not have been made visible by the Professor.

Why do I have a Moodle course listed that I never registered for?

The Registrar or a Professor might have accidently added you to a course.

If this occurs, please contact the Helpdesk at moodleezra@gmal.com and they will work to have the course removed from your Moodle page.

[Moodle Resources]

Why can’t I see the file my Professor uploaded?

1) Please check what browser you are using. Moodle has compatibility issues with Internet Explorer so we recommend you use Firefox, Chrome, or Safari when using Moodle.

2) You may not be able to see the File or Section where the file is located because your Professor has hidden it. Contact your Professor and let them know you cannot view the file.

Why can't I view a file after I have clicked on it?

This might depend on your browser and computer type (Mac/PC). Some browsers will ask you if you want to Save or Open the file.

Other browsers may download the file to your "Downloads" folder without prompting you for a preference. Look for the file you are trying to access in the downloads folder of your computer.

[Emails and forums]

Why am I not getting any e-mails and others are?

Chances are your email address in your profile is either wrong or disabled. It could also be that you are not subscribed to the forums that are generating emails. AOL users may also not receive e-mails if the administrator has banned the use of AOL email addresses.

How can I stop all of these e-mails?

E-mails are an essential part of the way Moodle works. They are used to keep you up to date with what is going on. If you wish to reduce the amount of emails you get you could:

• Edit your profile and change your e-mail settings to digest
  • Unsubscribe from non-essential forums (although they are there for a reason!)
  • Disable your e-mail address in your profile although this is not recommended and may go against in house rules.

[Assignments and grades]

How do I upload a file to my assignment?

1) When in Moodle, select your course and click on the assignment title.

2) Click the Add a Submission button,

3) On the next page, you can drag and drop a file or you may click the Add icon on the top left side of the submission form.

* If you clicked the Add icon:

1) Click the Upload a file button, browse for your file and doubt-click on the document you wish to upload.

2) Finally, click on the Upload button.

4) Click the Save Changes button.

Why can't I not access a class assignment?

1) Please check the browser you are using. Moodle is often incompatible with Internet Explorer, we recommend you use Firefox, Chrome, or Safari when using Moodle.

2) Check the submission date for the assignment. If the submission date is in the future, you will have to wait until that date to upload the assignment.

3) If you are accessing the assignment between the submission date and the due date, please contact your Professor. The assignment might be restricted in some other way.

My file cannot be uploaded to an assignment?

1) Please check which browser you are using. Please contact your instructor. Your instructor may have placed a file size restriction for the file size.

2) Please check the file size. Most assignments do not allow file uploads of more than 32MB.

Why can’t my Professor view the file I submitted in my assignment?

Please make sure that you have clicked on the Submit button (if available) on the assignment submit screen.

Also, verify that you have uploaded the correct file type (MS Word/PDF files) that was required for the assignment.

Why is there no upload box?

This is either because:

• The assignment has now closed
  • The assignment is not yet open
  • You already uploaded something and the settings prevent resubmissions

How can I see my recent assignment feedback?

There are many ways you can access their feedback. The most common method is by simply going to the same place where you uploaded the work. Another common method is to follow the link in the recent activity block (if the teacher has included it on the course). Another method would be to access the grade book and then follow the link for the required assignment. Depending upon how the assignment was set up, you may receive an email when it has been marked with a direct link to the feedback.

Why is my course average so low?

Don't panic! The Moodle gradebook takes into account unmarked and unsubmitted work. In other words, you start with zero and as you progress through the course and complete graded activities the percentage will steadily rise

[Quizzes]

How can I take a quiz I missed?

Please contact your Professor. If they allow make up quizzes, they can change the settings for the Moodle quiz and allow you to take the quiz again.

How can I retake a quiz that ended after computer froze?

Please contact your Professor to see if they will allow you to retake the quiz. If so, then your professor can do a quiz override which will allow you to have another attempt.

How can I go back to click on the quiz submit button at the end of my quiz?

Please have your Professor contact Moodle Support Team for assistance with this matter.

Why am I getting zero grade on my quiz?

You might exceed the quiz time limit.

This should never happen, because the count-down timer should submit the quiz automatically when time expires, and then the Moodle server should process you submission promptly. However, if the server is overloaded and running slowly, your responses may not be processed until after to 'too late' cut-off time, and so you will not receive marks for those questions.